Onion Sauce (1 Portion)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tbsp oil/fat
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 150 mL water
- 1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Chop onions and place in pot with oil. I just chop them
into small pieces, but some people like to chop them
into rings instead. Do whatever you want (within limits).
- Fry onions on medium heat for 35-45 minutes.
Do not be tempted to turn up the heat - it is necessary
to fry them very slowly in order for them to turn brown
properly instead of just burning. In fact, you may need
to turn down the heat a bit after a while.
You only need to stir occasionally, though, so this is
something that can be done while reading a book or doing
- Add flour and stir until it is mixed well with the onions.
- Add water and salt and stir well.
- Boil/simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until it
has reached the desired thickness.
- Optionally blend it with an immersion blender. I haven't
actually done this yet because I like the onion pieces,
but some people do it.